Monday, January 5, 2009

Tips for Preserving Fresh Flowers

Tips For Preserving Fresh Flowers

My husband rarely buys me flowers because he thinks they are a waste of money. He has done it, but he always grumbles. I find this funny, and it does say a lot about who he is. His argument is a sound one, but that does not mean I don’t expect to get them, even if it is only once a year. He got me some before our wedding, with a card that said I could keep the vase even though the flowers will die. I showed him up by looking for ways to go about preserving fresh flowers. I made them last after all. It’s still a big joke between us.

There is one old way to go about preserving fresh flowers that still works today. You can always flatten them between the pages of a book. You can do this with any paper. What happens is the flower is flat, and the moisture is gone. They won’t last long this way, so you do have to take some extra steps. You can use hair spray on them to help them hold together, and then you should get some sort of sticky see-through papers that you can use as a wrap of sorts. You can cut them to size for a bookmark, or you can even frame them this way if you want.

When I wanted to save my wedding bouquet, I found a few options for preserving fresh flowers. One was to hang them upside down in a rather cool place after spraying them with hair spray. This worked well, but you do have to be very careful when you handle them when they are dry. They did retain their color for a while, but that will not always happen. It depends on quite a few factors that may be largely out of your control when preserving fresh flowers.

Another option I found was really neat, though I didn’t have the money to do it at the time. You can send your flowers away to a company that specializes in preserving fresh flowers for you in any form that you wish. Some use them in a frame with a poem or even a picture of your choosing. There are many great options. You can decide what you want when you find such a web site or company. They know all the tricks to preserving fresh flowers in the best possible way, and will do their best with what you have.
Sharon Silver writes about Gettysburg Flowers and where to find the best places for Gettysburg Flower Delivery sites to ensure you get the best experience possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment